The information on this page will provide useful details about the college /career planning process.

Additional Resources

  • NCAA Planning

    Students who plan on playing in Division I or II need to apply to the NCAA for eligibility.

    Tuition Reciprocity

    Students attending colleges in North Dakota, South Dakota or Wisconsin need to apply for tuition reciprocity.


    This online resource has college, career and scholarship information.

    MN College Application Fee Waiver

    Bring this form to the Guidance Office to complete.

    Looking for a career in Early Childhood?

    Check out this opportunity from New Horizon Academy.

College Degrees

  • Certificate

    • Under-graduate certificates may be awarded for successful completion of a specialized program of
    • Undergraduate program of study shall include 9 - 44 semester credits.


    • Program Completion. Intended for employability.
    • Diplomas may be awarded for successful completion of a program intended to provide students with
      employment skills.
    • A diploma includes 45 - 72 semester credits.
    • A diploma program includes a minimum of 15% of the total semester credits in general studies.
    • At least 75% of the total semester credits shall be program-related occupational or technical

    A.A.S. (Associate of Applied Science)

    • Earned after 2 years (60-72 credits) at a Technical or Community College.
    • 25% of the program will be communication, speech, humanities, physical sciences, arts and social
      science taken at a 2 or 4 year college to provide a broad general education component in addition to
      the technical skills.

    B.A. or B.S. (Bachelor of Arts or Science)

    • Earned after 4 years (about 120-128 credits) at a college or university.
    • These degrees may be in the liberal arts or in specific degree areas.
    • Some specific jobs require further experience to become a licensed or registered professional.
    • 1/3 of the credits are general education.

    M.A. or M.S. (Master of Arts or Science)

    • Earned after 30-54 credits beyond a B.A. or B.S. degree.
    • These degrees are from a “Graduate Program” at a college or university.
    • Usually, a research thesis is required for completion.
    • Some professions require a Master’s Degree to enter.

    Ph. D. (Doctor of Philosophy)

    • This allows one to use the title “Doctor”.
    • Earned after 2-3 years of post-graduate work.
    • It is research related usually requiring a major study called a dissertation.

    M.D., D.D.S., J.D. (Professional Titles)

    • These are professional titles used by medical doctors, dentists, and lawyers respectively.
    • Requires a total college background of 6 years or more.
    • Extensive internship and licensing requirements.